Happy New Year !
Shared Ozoni aka traditional Japanese New Year soup with friends ❤️ Plating the bowls is an artistic endeavor ? There are many variations to Ozoni soup depending on the family and/or region of Japan one is from. Mine is just Tokyo-style with whatever ingredients that one can find handy in USA. As we are near a Japanese supermarket we are lucky to have:
- Mochi (either round or rectangle shaped)
- Kamaboko (fish cake – these are red and white for auspiciousness)
- Shungiku greens (a bit like spinich but with more character) my mother used Mitsuba but did not have any.
- chicken breast
- Ikura fish eggs in mochi mini-cups I made – just my idea that came due to reasons I can explain later.
- Shirataki (crystal noodles – totally not traditional – just thought pretty addition.)
- Normally would have shiitake mushroom, flower shaped carrot, but not this time. For me a must used to be Yuzu peel as a touch for the final garnish but did not have any Yuzu so … a tiny lemon peel ribbon strip.
Once these are arranged, the broth is poured over gently and we are ready to : Itadaki masu! Omedeto !!
My broth is clear made from blending of various dashi – soup stock but some regions may have miso in it or … So Many Variations – fun to see this site for some of the examples – Here’s the Link:)
Greeted by this Prince on their couch. So happy to see a happy dog to welcome the Year of Tiger:)